Thursday, January 29, 2009

Flat knit socks (Basic Pattern Idea)

These socks are made on two standard straight needles. (I used us size1)



After finding your gauge, cast on a multiple of 4 +2; to meet your size.


Leg:
r1- k2, p2, to end
r2- slip 1, knit the knits and purl the purls
r3- repeat from row 2 till leg length is reached

Ankle: stockinet for 1/4 to 1 inch (Depending on size of the wearer) slipping the first stitch of eack row.

Heel: short row shape on half of the total number of stitches (left or right, your choice) til you have 1/4 the total number of stitches left unworked. finish the short row shaping.

Foot: continue as ankle portion for the length of foot.

Toe: short row shape on half of the total number of stitches (same side as when you did the heel) til you have 1/4 the total number of stitches left unworked. finish the short row shaping.

finishing: kitchener the toe and mattress stitch the side.

This base pattern will work on any size foot.


Pattern & images © 2008 by Apatterns. Contact Apatterns@gmail.com

http://www.ravelry.com/dl/audrey-bochantin-designs/19348?filename=Basic_Flat_Knit_Sock.pdf

6 comments:

KR said...

I still want to give these a try! They look so comfy! :D I can't find size 1 straights to save my life. Would 2's work?

HUGS!

Kristin

Audrey said...

You can use any size needle, as long as you have your gauge you can calculate your cast on number. Just make sure it's a multiple of 4 +2.

D-chan said...

I found this pattern on Ravelry and I think it's easy and useful! I'm just a beginner but I managed to knit socks, wow! :)

I'd like to translate in Italian your pattern, if you can give me permission...

Audrey said...

Hi D-chan, That sounds wonderful, but I'd like to handle this through Ravelry's interface. I makes communication easier.

Audrey said...

If you would like; the pattern is here in Italian!

http://diccian.blogspot.com/2010/11/schema-calze-base-lavorate-in-piano.html


Thank you D-chan!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your pattern. I want to try socks but am a beginner who hasn't tried circular needles yet.